Preparing for Treatment
- Avoid Accutane in the six months prior to beginning your treatment sessions.
- Do not use topical agents that may increase the sensitivity of your skin such as retinols, harsh exfoliants, topical antibiotics or acids 5-7 days prior to your treatment.
- Do not take anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil for at least 3 days prior to your microneedling session. These will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical for your skin rejuvenation.
- Avoid unprotected sun exposure, or sunburn for at least 2 weeks prior to your procedure.
- No waxing to the area being treated for 5-7 days prior.
- Do not shave the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there’s dense hair present in the treatment area, shave the day before you arrive for your appointment.
- If you’re prone to cold sores, consider taking an antiviral agent for 2 days prior to and the day of the treatment.
- Avoid blood thinning agents for one week prior. bruising is a common side effect of microneedling.
Day of Treatment
- Arrive at your appointment with a clean face free of lotion, oil, makeup, powder, or sunscreen. If you wish, you can wash your face in the office upon arrival.
- You will be asked to inform your skin care specialist about any relevant changes in your medical history and of all the medications you’re taking.
- Your specialist will ask if there are any cosmetic tattoos in the treatment areas.
- 30-45 minutes prior to your treatment, topical numbing will be applied to your skin.
After Care Instructions
- Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications for one week after the procedure, you may take Tylenol for soreness.
- Do not use ice on your face, and avoid using arnica/bromelain. These may interfere with the natural inflammatory process that’s critical for your skin rejuvenation.
- Avoid sun tanning and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for at least 2 weeks. After 24 hours, always use sunblock (30 SPF or higher) and avoid any sun exposure, even when using spf.
- A specialty post-procedure kit will be recommended to you to optimize healing and results.