Unless you’re playing chess, you should be wearing a mouthguard!
Sports mouthguards are an essential piece of gear for virtually every sport. Not only do they protect the teeth from trauma caused by direct impact, but also soft tissue such as lips, tongue and face. Whether it’s a full contact sport that mandates dental protection, or a lower impact sport that recommends it, a Sports Mouthguard is the one piece of gear that athletes should never be without.
Oral Injury Prevention Can Save You Thousands
According to the Academy for Sports Dentistry, the lifetime dental rehabilitation costs can approach several thousands of dollars per tooth for the child or athlete who loses a
tooth (or teeth) in a sporting injury. This does not include the associated costs of hours in the dental office and the possible development of secondary problems, such as periodontal disease. The total rehabilitation costs for a single knocked-out tooth are more than 20 times the preventative cost for a custom-made, dentist- prescribed sports mouthguard.
Not All Guards Are Created Equal…
Custom Made vs. Boil-and-Bite
Comparing dentist-fabricated, custom-made sports mouthguards with stock or boil-and-bite mouthguards reveals significant differences. Boil-and-bite mouthguards do not fit as accurately as custom-made types, so they often are uncomfortable and frequently interfere with the athlete’s ability to breathe and speak. Boil-and-bite mouthguards provide a false sense of protection due to the dramatic decrease in thickness when bitten into place in a softened state.
Why You Need A Custom Fit Mouthguard
With player safety as important as ever, a custom fit mouthguard should be top priority.
- The American Dental Association and the Academy for Sports Dentistry recommend a professionally-made, properly-fitted custom mouthguard for all contact and collision sports
- Over 5 million teeth are knocked out each year and the lifetime cost to replace one tooth is approximately $20,000
- Athletes don’t like wearing bulky uncomfortable mouthguards
- Generic boil-and-bite mouthguards are inexpensive because they’re chunks of rubber that are chewed through and turned unrecognizable almost instantly
- Custom mouthguards are designed to match the exact structure of each player’s individual mouth, making for the most intimate and comfortable fitting mouthguard possible and therefore outlasting boil-and-bite guards 5-to-1
- Players leave boil-and-bite mouthguards on the field, in their lockers or simply choose to not use them at all because they look disgusting and make it hard to breathe and speak
- Custom mouthguards are designed for optimal oxygen flow. The more oxygen an athlete takes in, the more enhanced their performance, endurance and communication becomes
- Even players with braces get the comfort and protection they need with custom fit mouthguards
- A custom mouthguard with a player’s personalized name, number and team logo instantly becomes a favorite piece of their uniform and an essential component to completing their game face
What Is A True Custom Fit?
Discover The True Meaning Of Custom
All mouthguards are NOT the same!
The “custom” in custom mouthguards actually refers to the fit. The most important characteristic of a mouthguard is the way it fits the athlete’s mouth. Mouthguards are meant to protect the mouth and jaw from impact, but if a mouthguard isn’t in the right place at the right time, it won’t provide the proper protection. Only mouthguards that are designed specifically to fit the exact mouth structure of the individual athlete stay in place.
A true custom mouthguard starts with an impression of your mouth. Next a stone model is fabricated exactly depicting your mouth and all it’s individual landmarks so we can produce a custom-made sports mouthguard with a precise fit for absolute protection and comfort.
At The Tooth Booth you can make it your own! Our customized sports mouthguards can be personalized with your name, team name, team number and more.
What Is The Difference?
Choose your protection carefully. Here are the main differences between your options.
- Bought at sporting good and discount retailers
- Least expensive option
- Cannot adjust fit for comfort
- Interferes with breathing and speaking because jaw must be closed to keep it in place
- Same basic design since 1960
- Bought at sporting good and discount retailers
- Forms on teeth with use of fingers, tongue and biting (hence the name)
- Decreases protection if bitten too hard while forming
- May be loose-fitting due to improper forming
- Bulky size interferes with breathing and speaking
- The American Dental Association recommends a custom-fit guard to protect against dental injury
- The Academy for Sports Dentistry states a custom mouthguard is 1000% more protective than any other type
- Individually engineered to fit your teeth and mouth
- More secure and more comfortable
- Ability to adjust lower jaw for better body alignment to improve performance
- Personalized with choice of colors plus name, number or other image
- Perfect for any sport
- Case included
- Reorders are 50% off
Get your custom sports mouthguard at The Tooth Booth for $125. Add up to three customizations. Customizations are an added cost of $10 each. We can add your name, sports number, mascot, team name, etc. Your guard comes with a case and our guarantee of a perfect fit. Plus, order your mouthguard through us and qualify for 50% off if you were to ever need a remake for ANY reason (say you lost your mouthguard or finally got those braces off).