- Rinse before putting them in.
- Protect your retainers from any kind of excessive heat (like the sun or a hot car).
- Only use cold or warm water when cleaning or rinsing your retainers.
- Brush & floss your teeth before putting your retainers in.
- Store your retainers in your case when you aren’t wearing them.
- Soak retainers in soapy water to get a more thorough clean. Rinse with water after cleaning.
- Wear your retainer every night or until you want crooked teeth again.
- Replace your retainers every 6-9 months to keep them fresh. The material starts to thin beyond this point allowing teeth to shift a little and also putting the retainers in danger of breaking.
- Don’t wrap your retainers in a napkin or paper towel, because they may crack.
- Don’t use sharp objects to remove your retainers.
- Don’t use hot water to clean your retainers, and never place them in the dishwasher. High temperatures can damage or discolor them.
- Don’t wear retainers while eating or drinking anything other than cool water.
- Don’t bite your retainers into position.