What is Microneedling?
Microneedling is a collagen induction therapy. How? Through the insertion of very fine, short needles using a specialized electronic device, microscopic punctures are made activating chemicals beneath to stimulate the regrowth and expansion of collagen in the skin for correction and rejuvenation. These holes are essentially making your skin think it is being damaged, which triggers the production of new collagen, thus helping with the rejuvenation process. The skin tightens, and glows with color, and scaring softens for a beautiful younger and very natural result.
If the prospect of needle wounds sounds slightly ominous, rest assured, the punctures are more like pin-pricks that enter only skin deep. In other words, it sounds MUCH worse than it is.
Microneedling offers fairly immediate results.
From microneedling alone, you will look plump, pink and luminous for a couple of weeks. Short-term, it plumps the skin for radiance which is simply a result of initial inflammation and very superficial swelling.
Microneedling promises improvement over time.
According to a 2008 study, skin treated with four microneedling sessions spaced one month apart produced up to a 400% increase in collagen and elastin six months after completing treatment.
What is Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)?
PRP is a concentrated source of platelets, growth factors and cytokines produced naturally in your own body that stimulates and controls healthy regenerative processes, including collagen and soft tissue remodeling, thereby improving overall health and rejuvenation. PRP has been used successfully for years to promote improved healing times and optimal results from various surgical and non-surgical procedures. In fact, PRP began in dentistry to aid in implant and other oral surgeries then spread to sports medicine and plastic surgery.
The PRP, painlessly obtained through a small blood draw, enhances the already amazing results seen with microneedling alone.
Microneedling with Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP)
Regarded as the ultimate facial, this procedure has become popular thanks to celebrities having the procedure to keep their skin looking camera ready and glowing. Platelet rich plasma (PRP) is the isolated portion of your own blood that contains several different growth factors and cytokines (the building blocks of collagen and elastin). The effect of PRP is even more powerful when it is combined with the process of microneedling (and vice versa) because those tiny pinholes allow the platelets to reach even deeper parts of your skin. The PRP is spread over the skin and the fine needles of of the micro needle device creates “entry pores” to the top layers of the skin. In conjunction with microneedling, you’re not only stimulating collagen formation with microinjury, but you’re also providing your skin with all the essentials it needs to complete the process.
The benefits of this treatment can be appreciated as soon as 1 week and the skin continues to improve over several months with treatment being customized to the needs of the patient to improve the appearance of:
- Acne scars
- Chicken Pox scars
- Sun damaged skin
- Brown discoloration
- Crepey skin
- Sagging skin
- Fine lines and wrinkles
How to Prepare for Your Appointment
- If you use Retinol, Retinol-A, or a Retinoid, stop a few days prior to your procedure.
- Drink lots of water in the days leading up to your appointment. Staying hydrated will ensure an easier blood draw.
- Arrive at your appointment with a clean face— no powder, concealer, foundation.
- Plan your appointment on a day when you can stay inside afterward as you’ll be required to avoid sun exposure in the 24 hours following your procedure.
What to Expect at Your Appointment
- We’ll take a series of photos to record problem areas, areas of concentration and just general “before” skin prior to starting.
- Quick blood draw.
- We will take the blood to isolate the PRP with the help of specialized lab equipment housed inside our own office.
- While PRP isolation is being completed, a specialized topical numbing agent will be applied to your face and treatment areas.
- Once the PRP is prepared, a microneedling device to create multiple micro-punctures will be used–both driving the isolated growth factors into the skin & creating stimulus for tightening and rejuvenation of the collagen of the face. Our team uses the Rejuvepen microneedling device which is the same device used on stars like Kim & Kourtney Kardashian, Gisele Bündchen, and Bar Refaeli.
- The facial itself looks bloody because we’re using your blood derivatives and, although almost all the red blood cells are discarded from the PRP solution, some red blood cells may remain.
- The channels opened up through this process will remain open for 20 minutes following your procedure. During this time, you’ll relax in our massaging chair (covered by a blanket with the lights dimmed if you so desire) with specialized compresses covering the treatment areas to cool and soothe your skin.
- We’ll apply TNS Essential Serum by SkinMedica to your entire face prior to your dismissal as it’s the closest thing you can get to the growth factors & cytokines in PRP. We’ll suggest you use this in the days that follow too.
What to Expect AFTER Your Procedure
- Avoid sunlight & facial products (except TNS Essential Serum) for the first 24 hours.
- If you HAVE to wear cosmetics in the first 24 hours following your procedure, make it Jane Iredale. Jane Iredale is the only approved makeup as it is 97% mineral (grab a starter kit to get you by for only $33 if you don’t currently use Jane).
- Keep your fingers/hands off your face.
- Sleep on a clean pillow case.
- It will look and feel like you have a sunburn for the first 48 hours. You may experience bruising, drying, or peeling following your procedure.
- Microneedling will yield better results when done in a series. Schedule your next session in 2-4 weeks.